Tuesday, September 26, 2017

 

The Pleasure of Reading

Giacomo Leopardi (1798-1837), Zibaldone, tr. Kathleen Baldwin et al. (New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2013), pp. 1901-1902 (Z 4273-4274):
I myself, even though I have no greater pleasure than reading, indeed I have no others, and in whom the pleasure of reading is so great that since my earliest childhood I have always followed this habit (and habit is what produces the pleasure), when I have sometimes, in a moment of idleness, settled down to read some book simply to pass the time, and for the sole and express purpose of finding pleasure and delight, I have always discovered, not without surprise and regret, that not only did I experience no delight at all, but I felt boredom and distaste from the very beginning. And therefore I went immediately to change books, but without any benefit, until in desperation I stopped reading, fearing that it had become dull and disagreeable to me forever, and that I would no longer find pleasure in it. But the pleasure returned to me as soon as I took it up again as an occupation, and as a way of studying, and in order to learn something, or to generally improve my knowledge, without any particular purpose of enjoyment. Therefore, those books which I have enjoyed least, and which for some time now I no longer have the habit of reading, have always been those which are described, [4274] as if with their proper name, as amusements and pastimes. (6 April 1827.)

Io stesso, che pur non ho maggior piacere che il leggere, anzi non ne ho altri, ed in cui il piacer della lettura è tanto più grande, quanto che dalla primissima fanciullezza sono sempre vissuto in questa abitudine (e l'abitudine è quella che fa i piaceri) quando talvolta per ozio, mi son posto a leggere qualche libro per semplice passatempo, ed a fine solo ed espresso di trovar piacere e dilettarmi; non senza maraviglia e rammarico, ho trovato sempre che non solo io non provava diletto alcuno, ma sentiva noia e disgusto fin dalle prime pagine. E però io andava cangiando subito libri, senza però niun frutto; finché disperato, lasciava la lettura, con timore che ella mi fosse divenuta insipida e dispiacevole per sempre, e di non aver più a trovarci diletto: il quale mi tornava però subito che io la ripigliava per occupazione, e per modo di studio, e con fin d'imparare qualche cosa, o di avanzarmi generalmente nelle cognizioni, senza alcuna mira particolare al diletto. Onde i libri che mi hanno dilettato meno, e che perciò da qualche tempo io non soglio più leggere, sono stati sempre quelli che si chiamano [4274] come per proprio nome, dilettevoli e di passatempo. (6. Aprile. 1827.)

Alexandre-Gabriel Decamps (1803-1860), The Philosopher



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?