Wednesday, August 30, 2017

 

Grotesque Visages

George Gissing (1857-1903), By the Ionian Sea: Notes of a Ramble in Southern Italy (New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1905), pp. 53-54:
Taranto has a very interesting Museum. I went there with an introduction to the curator, who spared no trouble in pointing out to me all that was best worth seeing. He and I were alone in the little galleries; at a second or third visit I had the Museum to myself, save for an attendant who seemed to regard a visitor as a pleasant novelty, and bestirred himself for my comfort when I wanted to make sketches. Nothing is charged for admission, yet no one enters. Presumably, all the Tarentines who care for archaeology have already been here, and strangers are few.

Upon the shelves are seen innumerable miniature busts, carved in some kind of stone; thought to be simply portraits of private persons. One peers into the faces of men, women, and children, vaguely conjecturing their date, their circumstances; some of them may have dwelt in the old time on this very spot of ground now covered by the Museum. Like other people who grow too rich and comfortable, the citizens of Tarentum loved mirth and mockery; their Greek theatre was remarkable for irreverent farce, for parodies of the great drama of Athens. And here is testimony to the fact: all manner of comic masks, of grotesque visages; mouths distorted into impossible grins, eyes leering and goggling, noses extravagant.
Thanks to Eric Thomson for the following photograph of one of these grotesque visages from the museum:


This is not unlike what I see when I look into a mirror.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?