Saturday, March 25, 2006

 

New Blog

I've been reading Balashon - Hebrew Language Detective, which describes itself thus:
An American in Israel investigates language - modern and classic Hebrew, slang, Yiddish, Aramaic, Yeshivish, and more - with an eye on etymology. I'm not a professional linguist, and will be using this blog to explore my own questions, and I welcome yours as well.
If, like me, you don't know Hebrew, Yiddish, Aramaic, or Yeshivish, you can still learn a lot from this interesting blog, such as words in various languages for the @ symbol. English has the most boring name of all - at sign.

I wish Balashon, or Ralph the Sacred River, or someone else would investigate the claim that the Hebrew translated by "sweet calamus" (qaneh bosem) at Exodus 30.23 really means cannabis.



Thanks to Edward Cook at Ralph the Sacred River, who responded quickly with an informative post entitled Pot in the Bible?.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?